Vacancies at Doon
Head Of Teacher Development and Instructional Coach
The Doon School, one of India’s most interesting schools, is looking for the right educator to lead its Teachers’ Development Centre (TDC) and be the faculty’s Instructional Coach. This is a new position that has considerable scope to change the nature of teaching and learning in the school and to influence the way that schools in the country look at teacher development.
Working directly with the faculty to improve their practice, you will plan and lead the in-house professional development work through the TDC and the weekly time available for teachers’ learning. The outcome of this work will be a richer culture of learning in the school which will translate into student engagement and achievement
Teacher Development Responsibilities
• Walk through the classes on a daily basis as a starting point for developing the quality of teaching and learning in the school.
• Visit and observe the lessons and have follow-up conversations with the teachers and the departments to coach and to share ideas, techniques and strategies to improve student learning.
• Engage with those in most need of coaching and support. Plan and execute interventions that will improve student learning.
• Develop Individual Continuous Professional Development Plans with the teachers and help them keep a record of it.
• Co-plan and co-teach with teachers you are coaching to support their development and reflective practice. Accompany these teachers on your classroom walkthroughs.
• Help teachers collect the feedback they need from their students’ to reflect on their areas for development.
• Help teachers make effective use of the tech that is in the hands of the students and at their disposal.
• Regularly share best practice, research findings, theory and ideas.
• Coach the Heads of Department and other experienced teachers so that they become skilled and credible mentors themselves.
External Teacher Development Responsibilities
• Build alliances with other schools and educational institutions from whom we can learn and with who we can work together to improve teaching and learning in our school and theirs.
• Work with the HoDs to plan Subject Cells that focus on subject specialization and subject updates. These will include teachers from other schools and specialists from Higher Education Institutes.
• Plan for, coordinate and manage any weekend or holiday programmes for the development of teachers, HoDs and educational leaders.
• Manage any Initial Teacher Training, Teaching Interns and Teaching Fellows working in the school.
Teacher Development Centre Responsibilities
• Share you general observational learning with the ELT and contribute to the development of systems, policies and strategies to improve the teaching and learning in school.
• Co-plan the school calendar with
• Academic Council as well as the teachers.
• Contribute to Chambers, PTMs and other ‘teachable moments’ for the teachers and the community.
• Contribute to the engagement of any Teaching Interns or Teaching Fellows wishing to join the school.
• Manage, submit and oversee the school’s Training Budget for the teachers, staff and students.
Student Development Responsibilities
• Plan for the delivery of student training in collaboration with the Deputy Head Pastoral, Deputy Head Academic and the Housemasters’ Council.