Design and Technology
Design and Technology – D and C
Academic Department Details
Department:Department of Design and Technology
Subject:Design and Technology
- Introduction to Wood as a material and exploration with basic manual tools.
- Introduction to Metal as a material and exploration with basic manual tools.
- Introduction to Acrylic as a material and exploration with basic manual tools.
- Exploring types of finishes on found objects.
- Presentation including a good graphical poster of the complete furniture, details of the mockup and its physical models
- To equip students with furniture making skills with the help of power tools, design development and construction techniques
- Building full-scale furniture with actual materials for better understanding of scale, proportion, ergonomics and materials properties, strengths and weaknesses
- Better knowledge of design and improvement in quality of design through a deep understanding of materials properties, joints, finishes and construction techniques
Skills Required to Learn
- Ability to analyze the colour and material combinations
The process of the Design and Technology begins with the teaching of healthy and safe work habits, and using many different hand tools and machine tools. Students will go through a hands-on experience of working with materials and processes in which they will be exploring and making their final product in actual material.