The Kilachand Library
The Kilachand Library has been refurbished and re-stocked in recent years and the school is committed to ongoing investment in print books and digital technology such as Kindles and other e-book sources and resources. There is ample space for research and reading on the ground floor, and plenty of access to IT facilities on the second floor. WiFi connection enables the boys to access their laptops within the building. The library has been designed to provide the boys with a quiet and purposeful atmosphere for study and intellectually creative thought.
Boys are able to use the library throughout the term and there are regular book fairs and meetings of the Library Council attended by boys and masters to discuss the development of our library resources, such as book requests, Kindles, newspapers and periodical publications, and reference material. There are also departmental libraries to support the work and resources of the Kilachand Library. The library is also home to the Founders’ Room and the Archives, with a full-time archivist.
The Kilachand Library aims to do the following:
- Support the educational aims of the school by making the library central and integral to the independent learning processes within the school.
- Provide a service which will enable boys to become more responsible for their own learning and prepare for university by helping them develop their research and study skills.
- Enrich boys’ curricular experiences by providing appropriate resources. Knowledge of the curriculum enables staff to purchase relevant resources, and provide an environment that is conducive and will encourage divergent and reflective study.
- Provide an environment which encourages relaxation and private reading. Regularly changing displays and celebration of national book awards, presenting and highlighting new novels, literary works and latest developments, as well as personal recommendations, encourage pupils to read a varied range of material.
- Give boys a sense of ‘ownership’ of their Library. Suggestions by boys for resources are always welcomed. The Library Council meets regularly, with representation from boys and staff.
- Arrange workshops and talks by writers and illustrators which will inspire, enthuse and entertain boys.