The Doon School provides a specialist education in many different spheres. It specializes in a fully boarding education and has done so consistently and without wavering from this core characteristic since its foundation in 1935. The greatest strengths of the school spring from the quality of the human relationships throughout the community and the sense of companionship that these engender. The full boarding environment encourages a strong sense of community and helps to develop friendships that will be sustained – and be sustaining – in life beyond the School.
- Our boarding education is aimed at Indian boys from throughout India and overseas. It is therefore able to inculcate India’s rich and diverse history, heritage and tradition in its pupils.
- The school is secular and thus is open to boys from all states, socio-economic backgrounds, castes and religions.
- The school’s inspiration and foundation came from the best of the British independent school sector, with S.R. Das’s insistence that it should be an egalitarian and secular environment welcoming boys from every background and region in India. The combination of that founding vision and the desire to provide that best educational practice to boys in India makes the school a unique boarding environment in India. It also provides the school with its unusual position of being a national brand with a global reach and reputation, and an international outlook.
- The school’s proven track record in producing outstanding leaders in all walks of life has given Doon and its alumni a worldwide reputation.
- It is able to specialize in the education of boys aged 12–18 years and resource it accordingly. The school can focus all its energies and resources on boys rather than also having to provide resources for educating girls, day pupils or junior age groups, all of which require their own special level of commitment.
- The school has a beautiful campus; it was the original site of the Forestry Research Institute and a botanical garden that has more species of trees than in the whole of Delhi. The space and clean Himalayan air of Dehradun provides a healthy and secure environment to grow up in.
- The school offers a choice of the IB or the ISC and has a recent track record of excellent examination results and first class university and college placements at home and abroad.
- The school’s ten-year development plan encompasses a campus master plan and financial plan, together with a fully integrated approach to the intellectual, pastoral and co-curricular aspects of the education of the boys.
- The school’s historic commitment to social service is such that the Indian Government, inspired by the Doon model, introduced SUPW as a compulsory aspect of the curriculum for all schools. This and other innovative approaches to education, including our current teacher training programs, are indicative of The Doon School’s commitment to being a pathfinder for best educational practice in India.